1 c. grated Fels Naptha soap
1/2 c. Super Washing Soda
1/2 c. Borax
Combine. (Easy enough. Having only used it in 1 load, I can only say it's no miracle mixture. Spaghetti and mystery stains remain. Now I'll pretreat them and wash again.)
Here's the liguid gel version:
1/3 bar Fels Naptha
1/2 c. Super Washing Soda
1/2 c. Borax
lots of water (I think about 2+ gallons)
Heat 6 cups of water. Melt the soap in it, add Soda and Borax and stir until dissolved. Pour 4 c. hot water in a bucket then add the soap mixture. Stir. Add a gallon plus 6 c more water. Let set up 24 hours. It's liquid with gel globs in it. Mine's not totally set up yet, but I've got a load of it in the wash now. Will see how this does.
I got half way through the recipe when I realized I had meant to half it, but had forgot to. And I'm definitely a novice. I tried to save energy by just pouring from that big bucket into those jugs with the funnel... on our wood floor. And had to use all those towels to mop up. (decided to set up the jugs in the sink and heave up the bucket after the big spill).
Guess my floor needed mopping. Yuck. Actually, on closer inspection, I discovered the detergent had taken off the finish of about a 2 ft sq. spot in the middle of the kitchen.... well, Praise the Lord for old, splintered, creaky, worn down floors, I guess! This spot doesn't stand out at all from the rest of the house. So if you're needing to get that old finish off your floors, here's the recipe! Doesn't even take any elbow grease!
My freezer. Of course, again like a novice, I forgot to write down what I had in there. So now I get to unload it all, make a list of what have, and load it up again. Thankfully, it's not that big. But from my recent adventures I have 5 meals plus leftovers of spaghetti sauce, 1 Mexican casserole, 3 cups of taco meat, 3 c of browned hamburger, and 3 meals plus leftovers of Minestrone.
That ice cream is calling my name! AH!
A lot of things happened during all this work that could probably have frustrated me. But as a wise experienced friend just told me recently (before all this), there just so much exploring for a young wife and mom. Lots of mediocre meals, sunken loaves of bread, grocery shopping gone awry. I guess she's right. Columbus had no intention of landing in the Bahama Islands, and I had no intention of discovering finish remover. Yet, all in all, it felt quite satisfying to get all this done.
By the way, spaghetti stains remain. And it's one of my favorite shirts! Why was I making spaghetti sauce with it on?
**Lol, Micah and Lydia woke up part way through my post and have been playing in the living room. Micah just called to me to say, "We're having a good time. We're having Micah and Lydia time!" (That means, "Don't come in yet, Mom."). LOVE it!**
Good job Anna. Way to get after it with the laundry soap. I have had it on my list of things to try for months and months and just haven't done it. Let me know what you think as you use it more.
ReplyDeleteHi Anna,
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your blog. I can't do the videos but the rest is fun. Have fun spending your time making soap. I figure we have progressed from those days. With my 7 I did one load of laundry a day, alternating lights and darks. Plus one more for sheets. I did the wash at night after baths, wiping us out of the bathroom with the wettest towel. That way the bathroom was always clean. You can do a lot while the kids are occupied in the bathtub, like cleaning the bathroom. The cloths went in the dryer first thing in the morning, folded and out away. That way I never had a pile of laundry. You can save on soap if you don't wash so much. Our predecessors, without automatic machines, made clothes last longer. We really haven't saved time over the years. Machines are so convenient that we just do more work. And it is OK if the kids and you wear their clothes a little longer.
I can remember trying all kinds of clever ways to save time and money. Like making Grandpa's lunches a week at a time. I sooned learned that lettuce doesn't freeze well. I could go on and on. Love to you all, Grandmother
Thanks, Grandmother! I have relaxed about Micah's clothes. He wears them over again until they can practically stand up on their own (unless we're going out). But then again with potty training, he goes through all his pants in just a few days (Ah!) I haven't quite moved to one load a day, but that's probably coming in the next couple years.
ReplyDeletegiggle giggle giggle. you're funny Anna. My latest experiment was tortilla shells-not half as daring as yours! Cant wait to give Micah and Lidia a great big auntie kiss.
ReplyDelete