How we picked Zoe's name:
With both Micah and Lydia we learned their gender at the 20 week ultrasound. But with this third baby we had decided to let it be a surprise. So we had no names picked out. I was feeling so far from the due date I was hardly interested in finding a name. But once we found out I was leaking amniotic fluid and might go into labor and deliver a "non-viable" baby... we changed our minds. Ultrasound showed a healthy girl. I spent hours looking through the baby names book, always burning out by letter G. I started opening to random pages hoping something would jump out. Then Jay suggested Zoe. I was ambivalent until Jay explained that Zoe is a variation of the Greek word for "life" that Jesus uses when he says "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” (John 11:25-26 ESV) (The same word is used in Jesus' statement: "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through Me" in John 14:6) We've been very encouraged by John 11 during our hospital days. Out of love for His friends, Jesus allows
suffering, feels compassion and sorrow on their behalf, and then gloriously
declares and shows His authority over death by raising Lazarus. We do not know
what God will do in our little Zoe's life, but we trust Him as Ruler of all:
vs25 "Jesus said to her, 'I am the
resurrection and the life ("zoe"). Whoever
believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.'" Our daughter is in Christ's hands, the Lord of Life.
"zoe": life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God,
blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust
in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new
accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last for ever.
We combined Zoe with Christine, my middle name, to emphasize that our hope for Zoe's physical and eternal life is grounded in Christ and His victory over sin, death, and Hell. Nothing can touch our daughter but what is for God's glory and her good.
Zoe Christine, may God rescue you, protect you, and one day bring you to live forever with Him. You are in good hands, dear daughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment